Fenugreek seeds are a natural alternative for several health problems. Especially revered for their ability to aid digestion, they can also treat gastric ulcers, soothe inflammation and skin irritation, improve glycaemic control in diabetics, and even improve cholesterol levels in your body.
The seeds of fenugreek or Trigon Ella foenum-graecum, also called methi, are rich in flavonoids, sapiens, alkaloids, amino acids, protein, and fibre. They also contain vitamins A and C, calcium, iron, and other minerals.
Health Benefits of fenugreek
- Lower Blood cholesterol:-fenugreek helps to reduce cholesterol level, especially that of the low density lipoprotein (LDL). They are known to be rich source of steroidal saponins that prevent the absorption of cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Reduces risk of heart:- Due to the presence of galactomannan, fenugreek plays a key role in maintain your heart health. It also contains high amount of potassium that counters the action of sodium to help control heart rate and blood pressure.
- Controls blood sugar levels:- Diabetic must include methi ( form of seeds ) in their diet. Because galactomannan, a natural soluble fibre present in fenugreek slows down the rate of sugar absorption into blood. It also contains amino acid responsible for inducing the production of insulin. Which is extremely healthy for diabetics.
- Aids digestion:- As fenugreek is rich in fibre and antioxidants, it helps in flushing out harmful toxins from the body and thus, aids digestion. In some cases, fenugreek is used to relieve indigestion and stomach pain. You can even drink fenugreek decoction early in the morning to deal with constipation.
- Helps counter acid reflux or heartburn:- One teaspoon of fenugreek seeds in your food can be an effective remedy for acid reflux or heartburn. Mucilage of fenugreek seeds coat the lining of the stomach and intestine and soothe irritated gastrointestinal tissues.
- Helps you lose weight:- Include fenugreek in your weight loss diet by chewing soaked methi seeds in the morning on an empty stomach. The natural soluble fibre in the fenugreek can swell and fill the stomach thereby suppressing your appetite and aiding your weight loss goals.
- For lacting Mother :- Fenugreek water is excellent for lactating mothers as it aids in milk production. Methi dana has always been one of the ingredients that are used in small proportion, but is excellent for treating various conditions. For pregnant ladies as well as nursing mothers, fenugreek seeds are very beneficial.
- Helps reduce menstrual discomfort:- Fenugreek contains compounds like diosgenin and isoflavones with oestrogen-like properties which help reduce symptoms like discomfort and menstrual cramps associated with PMS.
- Helps soothe skin inflammation:- Vitamin C acts as a powerful antioxidant, fenugreek also contains anti-inflammatory compounds that aid in the treatment of various skin problems like burns, boils and eczema.